Thursday, October 8, 2009

Overkill

I love overkill. It provides me with home grown produce every fall. My dad has a tendency to plant far more tomatoes (and other things for that matter) than he and my mom will ever eat or use. Twenty five plants is conservative for him. I think next year I will pretend to plant tomatoes, and pretend they were victims of blight and save myself a load of work (rubs hands together mischievously). Anyway, yesterday brought me into the kitchen to blanch some tomatoes my dad gave me the other night. If you've never done this before, let me tell you, it's the easiest way to prepare veggies for the freezer (besides just throwing them in).



Simply boil some water, drop in your tomatoes and wait for the skins to split (usually a couple minutes).


Then remove them and place them in cool water.


When the tomatoes have cooled enough to handle, peel the skins off and chop if desired. Place in freezer bags or containers and store in the freezer until you're ready to make chili! Bring on the cooler weather!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! I should've done some of that too... oh well, there's always next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this totally inspired me to do something with mine before they went bad so i made my first batch of fresh tomoato soup!! it was so easy and fun and super yummy!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete