Thursday, December 23, 2010

Squash Rolls, Second Attempt



I think I managed to improve on the original recipe this time around. These are a little lighter and a bit more sweet. I like them better without the sorghum as it is a bit too dominant a flavor for this particular roll. I also swapped out the water for milk. I'm not really sure why I didn't use milk the first time around. I'm pretty happy with these. The dough is harder to work with, but the rolls are delicious. These taste a bit like Hawaiian bread I think. Good pairing for spinach dip!

1 1/2 c. Rice Flour
1 c. Corn Starch
1 c. Potato Starch
1 T. Xantham Gum
1 1/2 t. Salt
1 t. Baking Powder

1/2 c. Squash
3/4 c. Sugar
3 T. Oil
3 Eggs
1 C. Milk
2 1/4 t. Yeast

Heat water to 105-115° and add yeast and sugar to proof about five minutes. Combine flours, starches, xantham gum and salt in small bowl. Mix eggs, oil, squash and yeast mixture. Slowly add in flour mixture. Mix until well combined. Using ice cream scoop or other large spoon, spoon rolls into greased cake/pie pan. Brush with melted butter if desired. Let rise for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake rolls for 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment