Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Squash Rolls, First Attempt

Well, I did a bit of looking around at some recipes and looking at the recipe I was starting with and did some figuring and made an attempt at some Squash Rolls. They turned out pretty good, but I think I'll make a couple adjustments with the next batch. Here's the recipe so far.

3/4 c. Water
2 1/4 t. Yeast
1/2 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Squash
3 T. Oil
3 Eggs

1 c. Sorghum Flour
1 c. Rice Flour
1/2 c. Corn Starch
3/4 c. Potato Starch
1 T. Xantham Gum
1 1/2 t. Salt

Heat water to 105-115° and add yeast and sugar to proof about five minutes. Combine flours, starches, xantham gum and salt in small bowl. Mix eggs, oil, squash and yeast mixture. Slowly add in flour mixture. Mix until well combined. Using ice cream scoop or other large spoon, spoon rolls onto greased cookie sheet. Brush with melted butter if desired. Let rise for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake rolls for 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.

I would like to make these rolls without the sorghum flour as I think it interferes with the flavor too much. I also think I need to increase the amount of starch in order to make these a bit lighter. I may also add 1/4 cup of water next time to help with the denseness. I would love any insight from you more seasoned gluten free bakers out there on how to create a fluffier dinner roll. I'm also wondering if I can put these in a cake pan to make them more like pull-apart dinner rolls or will I lose all definition.

No comments:

Post a Comment