Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gluten Free Graham Crackers


I've thought about trying graham crackers for some time now. I put something on my holiday baking list that requires a graham cracker crust, so this gave me the push I needed. I did a quick search for recipes and found this one. I didn't have all the ingredients required, so I did some subbing. This wasn't as involved as I expected it to be even though I don't have a food processor (yet). I've been doing some rollout baked goods lately and it's really not so bad.
Here's my version of the recipe:
1/2 cup plus 2 T sorghum flour
2/3 cup plus 3 T fine white rice flour
1/3 cup minus 1 T corn starch
1 t cinnamon
3/4 t xantham gum
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
7 T butter
2 T brown sugar
2 T honey
6 T cold water
Cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling

Mix together dry ingredients. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter (or food processor). Mix in sugar, honey and water. You may want to finish blending with your hands. Place dough in refrigerator for 15 mins. Preheat oven to 325°. Take dough out of refrigerator and roll out half (return other half to fridge for later) between two sheets of parchment. Remove top layer of parchment and cut into slices and pierce with fork. Dust with cinnamon and sugar if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Repeat for second half of dough. Enjoy!

These didn't turn out really crunchy/crispy like a store-bought graham. Maybe if I baked them longer they would crisp up a bit. They have a very whole-grain flavor and are quite delicious. My little one loves them.

On the docket later this week: Gluten Free Squash Rolls. This recipe will be entirely my own if I can figure it out. My husband's family has an old favorite family recipe for these that I would love to adapt. They are a sweet dinner roll with squash in them and they're wonderful. Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment